Welcome to Second Presbyterian Youth Ministry!

Welcome to the Blog that is entirely dedicated to the youth activities at Second Presbyterian Church! Here you will find the latest information on outings and gatherings, photos, and more. Enjoy!

Monday, June 25, 2012

Jane

This was my first time going on the journey to South Dakota, and it was definitely one of the best experiences of my life! When I arrived at church last Thursday, I had no idea how life-changing this adventure would be. Within the first few hours of the trip, I was already having the best time. We traveled through West Virginia, and continued on to Missouri. We stopped in St. Louis to see the arch, where I sent my first postcard! The ride to the top of the arch was my favorite part, other than the amazing view. We continued on, seeing many beautiful views and watching the mountains slowly disappear. We eventually arrived in South Dakota, visiting Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. Later on, we traveled through the Badlands and arrived at the reservation, which would be our new home for the next week. We were welcomed with all of the smiles of the Youthworks staff. We unpacked our things, and did some activities to get to know the other group from Minnesota. The next day, we were split into groups, and some were sent off to work projects, and others to Kids Club. I was in the Prairie Dog group, and we were with Kids Club the first two days. I had no idea what I was in for! The kids arrived running out of the bus with smiles on their faces. All the energy of the kids made two hour Kids Club fel like it could have been a day! I learned so much with those kids! I learned how to love. Some of those kids have nothing, but their smiles did not show it! I dropped them off to their neighborhoods and saw where they really came from. I'm not going to lie, it was sad for me, but it taught me to be thankful. We might get mad about not geting a pair of shoes, but som of these kids have to go through coming home to a house with no food, no place to go to the bathroom, and no loving family. We don't have to worry about where our next meal will be, but some of these kids do. Kids Club is a place for them to go and feel safe and be loved! The next two days my group worked on a man named Willard's house. Willard and his family had a lot to give. They told us many stories about the Lakota culture, and showed us the sweat lodge. The sweat lodge is a little round lodge that you go in to pray and cleanse yourself of sins. It gets very hot, but while you're suffering for 20 minutes in the hotness, you have to think about those who are suffering for their entire life. We finished painting Willard's house the second day. His family as well as many other people came to the cookout that night. We all ate together, and later on when the community members left, we all went to club. We sang together, and read a Bible verse. When the youth leaders washed our feet and gave us prayers in our ears, I began to think about how much closer I had become to God through devos, club, and the whole experience. We all cried through both happiness for being together and helping out, and sadness because it was ending. This has been an experience of a lifetime, and I am so thankful to have received such a special opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment