Welcome to Second Presbyterian Youth Ministry!

Welcome to the Blog that is entirely dedicated to the youth activities at Second Presbyterian Church! Here you will find the latest information on outings and gatherings, photos, and more. Enjoy!

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Elwyn

My trip to Wanblee, South Dakota, was amazing! It was the first year that I was eligible to go, and I'm glad that I did. My sister went the year before and talked about how great it was. And now I have the opportunity to talk about it myself. It was a great experience. I really feel that I got closer to God and everyone that went on the trip. I also met some really cool people from the other church from Minnesota that came. I really enjoyed this week because it was a great opportunity to serve God, and the community that we visited. I really enjoyed meeting the people from the community as well. The owners of the house that I helped paint were awesome, and they were even generous enough to share some of their culture with my group. They showed us their sweat lodge, which is where some of their important spiritual ceremonies are held. I had the amazing opportunity to sweat with them and have a crash course on what goes on in such a ceremony. Part of the ceremony involves everyone praying one by one in the circle that is made in the lodge. And it was amazing to see how our Christian prayers were similar to their Lakota prayers. In addition to the ministry days, worship services and devotionals added to the experience. The kids at kids club were amazing as well, and it was great to play with them, and give them the love that some of them might not get at home. This week was an amazing experience and it really opened my eyes. I hope that I don't leave what I learned in Wanblee though. I want to continue to serve the Lord in my own community. It was a GREAT experience and I'd like to thank all of the adults that made it possible. I'd also like to thank Willy and Angela for all of their hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment