Welcome to Second Presbyterian Youth Ministry!

Welcome to the Blog that is entirely dedicated to the youth activities at Second Presbyterian Church! Here you will find the latest information on outings and gatherings, photos, and more. Enjoy!

Monday, June 25, 2012

Joe

My trip this year can be summed up in a few words: service, unity, compassion, culture, and experiences. However, these terms mean so much more than their literal definitions. Each of them is backed by people or places that make them unforgettable. Service - the act of doing something for another. This trip, I had the pleasure of serving the community of Wanblee on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota. Between painting and playing/taking care of kids, the work felt great. Sure, it was hot and kids could be frustrating, but it was satisfying and the looks of gratitude and joy easily compensated for it. Unity - the state of being together. I never truly grasped the full connotation of that word until this trip. I felt so connected to my youth group friends, God, and the community in a way I hadn't before. Togetherness in service to God is stronger than any glue, tape, or even personal differences. Compassion - love and emotional connection to people and God. The amount of love that we, and God through us, poured into Wanblee was unmatched by anything in my life. Culture - the beliefs, customs, and way of life for a group of people. I felt so ignorant of these people that I couldn't even put words to my questions about their culture. Fortunately, they were willing to talk and just let me listen, so now I know more, but certainly not enough of their culture. By experiences, I mostly mean sights, both of people and places. Seeing as how roughly half of the trip is driving, we saw a lot of the country. We visited the St. Louis Arch, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the Badlands, Wall Drug, and nine states. Equally memorable though, was the look of delight on the children's faces at Kids Club. This trip was my first mission trip and it had been talked about, but nothing could have prepared me for the intensity of God's love that I felt in South Dakota.

1 comment:

  1. Your sentiments are so heartfelt! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete