Welcome to Second Presbyterian Youth Ministry!

Welcome to the Blog that is entirely dedicated to the youth activities at Second Presbyterian Church! Here you will find the latest information on outings and gatherings, photos, and more. Enjoy!

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Caroline

Trying to describe this mission trip in words is nearly impossible. I had heard stories from people who have gone on this trip and I was looking frward to a fun trip across the country to help people in need. Never did I imagine being changed by this trip. I arrived at Second Presbyterian on the 14th of June knowing about 5 of the Senior Highs. Needless to say, I was nervous to walk on a bus of 15 acquaintances and only 5 friends. But after a few hours, I was closer to so many different people. We drove for 24 hours, but it really only felt like 7 or so, stopping at tourist places like the St. Louis Arch, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and finally arriving in South Dakota. I stepped off our church bus into what almost felt like a different world. It's not really describable, the feelings that rushed through my body when seeing the homes in Wanblee. Sunday afternoon my week-long journey with God began. There are so many stories I'd love to share and things I'd like to describe...for me, the most important thing to discuss is how the amazing people in Wanblee changed me. Kids Club was my project for the first two days. I got to meet the wonderful kids in the community. Giving endless piggy-back rides and seeing all the love in the kids' hearts. However, it was particularly hard for me to see kids younger than my 3-year-old brother in the care of a 5-year-old cousin, or watching 6-year-olds scream curse words. But, it opened my eyes to the hurt and pain in Wanblee. Some of the kids have been through way more obstacles in 5 years than my 3 times that. But despite all else God is still present in their lives, and they're still wonderful loving kids, and let me tell you...you get attached to every beautiful smile. The other project I got to be a part of was painting Willard's home. If painting and helping out wasn't enough fn, the family had 10 precious puppies and 2 little boys. I was lucky enough to hear Katherine's stories about Lakota culture. One other task I was given was cleaning every dead bug out of the lights at the food bank...it wasn't the most enjoyable experience getting up close and personal with a bunch of dead bugs, but if it helped those workers, I'm glad I did it. On this trip I realized just how blessed I am to have 3 meals, loving parents, and a roof over my head...not every kid in Wanblee can say that. Despite the struggles there's always a smile on their faces, even though they have a ton of reasons not to. One thing we discussed was physical poverty and emotional poverty. Most of the people in Wanblee regardless of their living conditions have a loving and positive attitude. The people ofWanblee taught me so much. They did so much more for me than I did for them. Lastly, being in Wanblee, South Dakota surrounded by all the beauty, along with the wonderful people, I felt closer to God than ever. This trip has strengthened my relationship with God in so many ways. It's easy to get distanced from God by the hectic activities and days called "reality" but just taking this week and focusing on the most important thing in my life...God, I can honestly say I'm a different person and I have Second Presbyterian to thank for that. So, thank you to everyone who made this possible. It opened my eyes, my mind, and most importantly my heart. I will never forget this amazing, life-changing mission trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment