Welcome to Second Presbyterian Youth Ministry!

Welcome to the Blog that is entirely dedicated to the youth activities at Second Presbyterian Church! Here you will find the latest information on outings and gatherings, photos, and more. Enjoy!

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Emily

This was my third year going to the reservation on the same trip, but this year proved to be much different. There were many obstacles that took place at our site. There was moving, lack of kitchen supplies, a varying form of the daily schedule, and lastly a makeshift evening activity after going to the cross was not an option. This makeshift evening activity was called the game of "Life." At first it seemed like the basic game we all knew and loved using money to pay for housing, taxes, food, and hospital services. However the money had to be rationed and my group had to actually refuse to take hospital services for some food. The game seemed playful at first, but quickly turned to a very serious and eye-opening discussion. Poverty became the main topic. We discussed how this game for us was actually reality for over 95% on the reservation. The statistic was shocking. After two previous years of making trips to the rez I had noticed widespread poverty but over 95% under the poverty line that is not what I expected. I could not imagine having to choose between food and housing. Poverty quickly revealed itself to be one of those facts that when it doesn't affect you, you choose to believe it doesn't exist. The most eye-opening part of the conversation was the definition of poverty which is generally associated with monetary standing. However one of the leaders for the week, Neil, ended the stereotype and expanded the definition to being purely a lack of something , psychologically, physically, emotionally, or monetarily. This discussion ended up playing into the theme of unity for the day, showing how God gives every person a different asset that can help the group of humanity as a whole and by coming together everyone's lack can be filled by another's asset. What I just described was just one of many fantastic experiences that I have had the privilege of having on my trips to South Dakota. I would not trade these experiences for anything else in the world. I am going to miss the group this year so much and our adult leaders more so. I have and will continue to change through my experiences on this trip. I pray for the future of everyone that was on this trip and hope they get to go on another one of these Youthworks trips that have been absolutely amazing for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment