Welcome to Second Presbyterian Youth Ministry!

Welcome to the Blog that is entirely dedicated to the youth activities at Second Presbyterian Church! Here you will find the latest information on outings and gatherings, photos, and more. Enjoy!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Stories From the Youth


This trip to South Dakota will be unforgettable! I really enjoyed painting the pastor's shed and getting to know him and his wife. This being my second mission trip to South Dakota was very special to me. I met lots of new people and built better relationships with my church group. I can't wait for my next mission trip!!
~ Anne J.

This was my first time going on a mission trip with the church, and let me tell you, it was one of the greatest times I have had in my entire life! Everybody instantly made me feel like I belonged here. Working with the kids at Kids Club was inspirational to me. To see those kids light up the moment you started playing with them was amazing. Also, working with my crew to help beautify a house was spectacular. Seeing how much they appreciated it really meant a lot to me. And bonding with kids from my group and from other churches was really special and I absolutely can't wait for next year's mission trip!! I'm so happy I was able to come.
~ Kate Riv.

This week in Kadoka was one of, if not the, most meaningful and spiritual weeks of my life. As the week went on I felt not only myself but everyone there grow closer to God. This trip opened my eyes to God's love for everyone. I saw this when in Kids Club kids from rough neighborhoods were able to just be themselves and have fun wothout having to worry about their safety and image. I also saw God's love when I painted Pastor Gary's house. His love for the community and his sincere thankfulness for us being there showed me that every little thing counts. From the friendships all the way to Kids Club, I saw God's love in this world and it made me be thankful for my ability to help these people.
~ Nicholas

This was my first mission trip and it was just amazing. From the trip to the reservation to being there. At first I was nervous because I was the youngest person going. I soon learned that didn't matter. This group was like a second family. Once we got to Kadoka I was worried about making friends with strangers in just a few days. I'm not that good at talking to people so it has always been a problem. But everyone there was there for the same reason so it wasn't that hard. Working at Kids Club was so much fun. We got to tun around with these amazing kids. The kids were shy at first but once you began to talk to them they changed. They were crazy but loveable. Working on Tony's house was great. I really bonded with the people on my crew. I loved helping Tony with his house though the scraping was annoying. But none of this compares to the last night we spent in Kadoka. We had a foot washing. Our adult leaders washed our feet and prayed for us. It doesn't sound like much but it was really touching. Even I cried. And those that are very close to me know that it takes a lot to make me cry. I can't explain the feeling but it was strong. I didn't want to leave. I want to do more mission trips. Not only because of the people I met but because ofhow close I felt to God. Just seeing what the Lakota people went through makes me so thankful of what I have. This trip made me feel better. The best I ever have and I can't wait for the next trip. I hope I get to go to New York next year for the next one.
~Caroline

These are just a few of the stories from the youth. We will add more soon so check back often!

No comments:

Post a Comment